News

Poisoned by the tampon: patient suffers from toxic shock syndrome and almost dies

Poisoned by the tampon: patient suffers from toxic shock syndrome and almost dies


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Toxic shock syndrome: bio-tampon almost cost the life of a young woman

A young woman from the United States almost died because she used organic tampons during her period. The use of the hygiene article had led to the so-called toxic shock syndrome (TSS) in the 33-year-old.

Young woman fought for her life

Regular changing of tampons and bandages is part of proper intimate hygiene during menstruation. If tampons remain in the vagina for too long, experts may even face life-threatening dangers, such as the so-called Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). A young woman from the United States also had to find out. The 33-year-old therefore fought for her life in a hospital in the state of Massachusetts.

It started with a strong headache

According to a report by the British newspaper “Mirror”, Kristina Makris went to a clinic in the US state of Massachusetts with a violent headache earlier this year.

The doctors assumed that the symptoms were due to flu and sent the 33-year-old home again.

Her condition worsened there, she became weaker and weaker and had to vomit and was therefore brought to Lahey Hospital in Burlington, Massachusetts, by her mother.

There, the patient was treated with four different antibiotics and blood pressure medication, among other things.

"I still had no idea what was going on with me, and it seemed that the doctors weren't sure either," Makris said, according to the "Mirror".

The woman's condition deteriorated dramatically

The treatment did not improve her condition. "I asked the nurses for pain medication and even threatened to find and take them myself," said Makris.

Because a rash on her leg spread and her vital functions became weaker and weaker, the patient was transferred to the intensive care unit.

And then it went quickly: "I only remember the surgical team that ran up to me and told me I had 45 minutes to decide whether I should have surgery or not," said Makris.

"I was so confused, I didn't know what to say or why I needed surgery until I was told I needed the surgery right away or I would lose my left leg."

When the 33-year-old woke up a day later after an operation, she saw the surgeon and, because she could not speak due to a breathing tube, wrote him a note on a white board and said: "Thank you for saving my life . "

Three days later, the doctors informed the woman of the diagnosis: she suffered from a so-called toxic shock syndrome (TSS).

According to the report, it was suspected that her illness was due to tampons, more specifically, organic tampons that the makeup artist had only recently started using.

"Because they were incredibly dry, I probably scratched the wall of my vagina when I pulled out a tampon and made it so susceptible to infections," said the 33-year-old.

And: "It never occurred to me that I could have lost my life by doing something simple."

Sick from tampons

Emma Soos, nurse and managing director of the women's health clinic, said according to the "Mirror" that all tampons - whether organic or not - can be dangerous.

"The main reason why women get a toxic shock is because they leave tampons in their vagina for too long," said the expert.

"Organic or not, the risks are the same, but changing the brand of the tampon used can result in a reaction if you are unfamiliar with another product," said Soos.

"In Kristina's case, it could have been caused by how absorbent the product was - but we cannot determine a specific cause in this case."

Tampon disease can be fatal

The TSS is also known colloquially as a "tampon disease".

In addition to high fever, typical symptoms of the infectious disease include headache, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, rash, as well as muscle pain, nausea and diarrhea.

If there are symptoms, a doctor should be consulted quickly.

Infection can lead to severe circulatory and organ failure.

Although the disease occurs extremely rarely with one case per 200,000 inhabitants, it can be fatal, as the case of 13-year-old Jemma-Louise Roberts from Great Britain showed. The Greater Manchester girl died four years ago from toxic shock syndrome.

The patient has recovered

After Kristina Makris spent two weeks in the hospital, the patient was discharged, but then spent three months at home to regain strength.

After the shocking incident, the doctors told her to never use tampons again.

The woman said she knew almost nothing about the disease: “I hardly knew anything about the toxic shock. Apart from the fact that when I was 12 and started my period, I was told that a tampon should never be left in for too long. ”

But: "I followed all the rules, but it still happened to me. Now I have trauma when I see a tampon. "(Ad)

Author and source information


Video: Staphylococci Microbiology. Lecturio (July 2022).


Comments:

  1. Adalard

    All about one and so infinitely

  2. Hotuaekhaashtait

    Cool! Smiled! Aftar - respect!

  3. Abd Al Hakim

    I apologize, but it doesn't come my way. Can the variants still exist?

  4. Enapay

    In my opinion, you are wrong. I'm sure. I can prove it. Email me at PM.



Write a message